Sunday, November 21, 2010

Family

    I was the second of my parents' four children and the only boy. Needless to say, being raised in a household with three sisters ingrained a strong protective instinct within me. As early as I can recall I knew it was my duty as their brother to protect them from danger. My acceptance of this role at such a young age would prove to be a crucial fragment of what would later become my "moral code".

    As the need for an authority figure became more and more of a necessity in my childhood, it was clearly evident that my father would be that influence; as I am sure my mother would agree. I quickly learned where and when rules could be bent and where they could be ignored in entirety; as far as I was concerned, anyhow.

    As with any family, there were trying times; we argued, we fought. At the end of the day, we all knew where our loyalties laid. I quickly accepted and embraced the importance of the role my family would play in my development.

No comments:

Post a Comment